Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pipes in Bartlett, TN

CC Photography by Betty Gray learns about bagpipes
We visited a Bartlett, TN park and upon getting out of our vehicle we could hear this beautiful sound. Couldn't really tell where it was coming from, but it was very pretty and very calming yet made you want to jump up and do some sort of step dance. lol After making our way through the park we ran into this awesome gentleman. He was a band member of the Wolf River Pipes & Dreams. He was so kind to explain to my kids and me the makings of a bagpipe and how the proper flow of air produces great sounds. Something that I learned that was new was that the hum that you always hear with the bagpipes, that hum is created by the pipes. I know!!! Who would have thunk it? hahaha

It was very interesting to hear about the bagpipe and watch him play and tune it. There will be a Scottish festival here in Memphis this weekend. It's call the Clanjamfry (pronounced "clan-JAM-free") it's an annual festival celebrating Scottish heritage. The Wolf River Pipes & Dreams will be performing on Saturday. Lots of activities will be taking place here and it's all for a good cause.

Hmmm...makes me wonder...could I be Scottish? My mother's father's grandfather's name was McMickle and they later changed it to Mickle. Ya never know. LOL Anyway, maybe I'll see you there!

Have you had your portrait created today?
Betty

No comments: