Friday, October 22, 2010

I Shall Be Norton Free...Yes I Can!

This blog, I apologize, is more of a rant than anything. Sometimes you just have to let things out and hope that someone out there will agree with you. So I ask, who out there agrees that Norton sucks!

Well, I know that what I do to my computer is not good. Yes, I am one that (Gasp!) does not reboot often. Chalk it up to being lazy or adventurous. Whichever way you want to look at it.  When I do decide to reboot my computer, I expect it to do it without too much annoyance. I know that there are programs that slowly start up in the background. I'm okay with that. I know that I have programs that have to check every file for authenticity. I'm okay with that. 

Ttoday upon my rebooting I discovered that the same Norton Anti-Virus/Malware/Tell Me What Dangers Lurk On My Computer program is back! Yes, I said it's BACK! I know I deleted it. I know I went into the registry to make sure there was nothing left behind. But low and behold, there it was, big black and yellow  filling up my computer screen. 

Where the heck did that come from? I have no idea other than the fact that someone must have installed another program that included the Norton program along with it. Norton has always been a program that slowed my computer down no matter what, including when it was brand new out of the package. I am not okay with that. 

So, as a result, I don't like it. I don't want it. I don't need it. I have found suitable other options. Obviously, Norton does not want me to get rid of it. The numerous amount of steps that you have to go through to have it removed from your computer is ridiculous. During that process, it made sure to tell me several times that my computer would be unprotected. It said it as if it's the only program out there or the only program that I have on my computer. That really got under my skin. 

Once I finally went through all of the steps and said "Agree" to all of the warnings, it FINALLY told me that it was removed. But wait! That's not all. It proceeds to open up a web browser window to encourage me to PURCHASE the program. Are you talking to me? Are you serious? 

Uuugh! Like I mentioned before, I don't like Norton. I'm sure others would disagree with my rant, but this is MY rant. So off I go to gather everyone around the ottoman to have a talk about what to download on the family computer and what not to. Or better yet, just don't download anything without me checking it out first. 

CC

No comments: